Tuesday, January 11, 2011

LOLcat, the future of the English language?

I'm finally settled in Monterrey, Mexico. Regardless of some family difficulties which I'd rather not dwell upon, it has been pretty boring down here. I do, however, have the belief that the more we write about something, the more true that phenomenon becomes... Imagine just how Communism spread the more people talked about it, or how Christianity spread in the same way. To put it simply, an idea spreads quickly the more you talk about it. Write about fear and fear appears. Write about love and love appears.

I have decided not to talk about the issues in my city. What good does negativity do to the mind? One time I got so worried that I didn't even want to write... I thought of the power of the mind and how much control it can lose when it lets the media take command of my freedom.

In short, I'm OK and my dad bought a new puppy, a male Bull Mastiff that I just keep calling Dante, thinking about the Divine Comedy. We all love him, and hope that our older male Rottweiler won't feel forgotten.

OK, back to seriousness, hehe...

I think this blog can be about three things: Poetry, English and Philosophy, since these are my three favorite topics. For now, let me address something I found both disturbing and strangely hypnotic concerning the English language:

LOLcats

Yes.

LOLcats


One could say:
it's just a funny internet site with cute kitty pictures and horrible spelling errors. Nobody takes it seriously.

What if I told you that people have written a LOLcat translation of the Bible?

I'm not kidding! Amazon is selling it:

Think about it:
the holiest book in Christianity translated by hundreds (maybe thousands or millions) of anonymous contributors into LOLcat.

Does this mean that LOLcat has become more than a silly internet meme? Is it now part of the American culture? Is it the apotheosis of Postmodern thought and the end of the world as we know it?

...

...naahh

I think LOLcat is a natural phenomenon. The Internet has become almost like a new culture. For example, I chat a lot, and never use punctuation, or uppercase letters unless I'm screaming. I also substitute "you" with "u," while the three characters "its" could mean "it's" or "its" in chat, depending on the context.

I think "right" has been substituted by "fast" in the Internet culture. Fast is easy, but not always the right thing.

Why should I read the LOLcat Bible? I tried reading Genesis 1 and my head hurt a little. I am not used to Internet talk! I'm an English major, for goodness' sake! I'm not supposed to tolerate these kinds of grammar, spelling and whatever-else-may-be mistakes! Why? WHY???

Phonetics, perhaps. I never studied linguistics, but while reading the LOLcat Bible translation, I felt like I was learning a whole new language that may be coexisting in Internet subcultures alongside Modern English. I felt that I was listening more to the sound of something said, rather than how something is written, and I think this is a good training exercise for the brain.

So, is the order now: Old English, Middle English, Modern English and LOLcat? Impossible. I love Modern English too much to let it die completely by LOLcat.

Believe me, I'm no expert in language development... I'm just living life and writing here for the lulz   =^_^=

2 comments:

  1. The feeling this blog gives me can be described in one group of letters.

    LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool story brah

    u mad at teh kyoot lolcats?

    ReplyDelete